Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Books of 2012

I had challenged myself last year to try to read a book a week - 52 books during the year. I didn't (even come close) meet that goal, but I did get in some good reading. Here's what I managed last year! You can see most of my review on THIS Goodreads thread, and if we aren't already friends there please add me!

1. The Silmarillion  by J.R.R. Tolkien
Started: Jan. 13 Completed: Feb 13 Rating: 4/5

2. Valentine Murder  by Leslie Meier
Started: Feb. 14 Completed: Feb 14 Rating: 3/5

3. Eragon  by Christopher Paolini
Started: Feb 15. Finished: Feb 18. Rating: 4/5

4. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
Started: Feb 18. Finished: Feb 20. Rating: 5/5

5. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Started: Feb 21. Finished: Feb 21. Rating: 5/5

6. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne
Started: Feb 23. Finished: March 7. Rating: 4/5

7. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Started: March 10. Completed: March 18. Rating: 3/5

8. Proverbs: God's Guide for Life's Choices by Woodrow Kroll
Don't recall start/finish dates. Rating: 3/5

9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Don't recall start/finish dates. Rating: 4/5

From here down they aren't in order; I stopped keeping up so closely somewhere in there!

10. His Glory Revealed by John Hagee
Rating: 3/5

11. The School of the Seers by Jonathan Welton
Rating: 5/5

12. Real Food, Real Frugal by Susan Godfrey at Finding Beauty
Rating: 4/5


Well, as you can see, I didn't get but a quarter of the way to my goal. So, let's pretend I wanted to count any of the literary, historical, Biblical kids books we read as well! Shall we? Of course we shall!

1. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
*Newbery Medal winner. Rating: 4/5

2. Twice Freed by Patricia St. John
Rating: 4/5

3. The Pirates of Pompeii by Caroline Lawrence
Rating: 4/5

4. Pompeii...Buried Alive!  by  
Rating: 4/5

5. Shiloh by 
*Newbery Medal winner. Rating: 4/5

6. Sounder by 
*Newbery Medal winner. Rating: 3/5

7. Old Yeller by 
Rating: 4/5

8. The Door in the Wall by  
*Newbery Medal winner. Rating: 5/5


With the kids books added in to my total, that makes 20 great books I read last year, which is just shy of halfway to my goal. I knew it was a super lofty goal in the first place, with the twins wandering around, and not to mention an unexpected move in there as well.

This year I'll pretend, once again, that I'm going to read a book every week and that kids books don't count for that. I'll probably count the kids books in my year-end total (like these Newbery winners!), but my aim is to read an adult book every week. I hope to read one non-fiction Christian book, one classic literature book, and one mystery or fantasy fiction book each month. That leaves me a week or so every month for whatever feeds my fancy, whether review books or challenge books (via Goodreads groups!), or just something that comes to me during the year.

I can't wait to share my reads with you this year! I hope to post a book review every week on Wednesdays, so keep an eye out for them! What are your reading goals for this year? Will you be blogging it? (Feel free to link us!)